Tuesday, January 24, 2006

2 Chapters Left !

Last night I hit a milestone, and that was the 100,000 word mark. A number that I've been working up to, as at times I never thought I would get there. But in 1.5 years, I've now reached 100,000 words, with only two chapters left to be written. I suspect that the total number of words for the entire work will average around 110,000 words... excluding the epilogue and preface.

Last night I lengthened chapter 19, and filled in some gaps... and reworked some of the dialogue, or added more. Chapter 19 is about 11 pages right now, where chapter 18 is 18 pages. I'm going to even that out most likely by adding more pages to chapter 19, as I deem necessary. But essentially, the entire project is finished up until chapter 19. All that remains is chapter 20, which will be a recap or view of the aftermath... and 21 will be the final chapter in book 1. The work is so rewarding... and to finish a book in my 20's... to me is a big accomplishment. I'm proud of the work, and the effort that I've put into it for the past two years... and I'm extremely happy with respect to the feedback, and just how the whole process has taken place. I'm almost there... but after book 1 is complete... I'll be taking a bit of a break. I'll probably start going out a bit more for a couple months, and meeting some new people, and generally taking a break to experience life. I'll be dedicating more time to exercise and kung fu... and I'll be settling in to my new condo as well... so there will be undoubtedly much to do. During my break, I will be distributing the first draft to several people, to collect their feedback for my second draft. I want to leave the work for some time... and just flush out all the ideas and connections I've already made... and try to read the work as objectively as I can. Not always easy, which is why I'm asking for help. But in time, I will be ready to edit / enrich the work, and complete a second draft. At that point, I will be approaching pulishers... several in fact. 5 - 7 at least.

During the time off, is when I'll continue to make contacts in the Publishing industry, create my query letters, and properly bind and package my work for distribution. Those of you who are reviewing will recieve an electronic copy, pdf'd and secured. The work is almost done everyone! For those of you who've read this site, and encouraged me to continue on... I thank you. You've been an invaluable part of the process.

No comments: