Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Book 1 - Update

Well it's been awhile since I've actually given an update regarding my book. I've lost my editor at this point, as she had family issues which took priority over editing, which is of course very understandable. I am at a loss now without an editor, but she was kind enough to provide a reference to www.editors.ca which I've also posted under the Research section of my web links. This site allows you to search for editors in your area, which I've done. I've contacted several of them at this point, to gather some quotes, and some further knowledge about the process of writing and publishing. The information I've obtained thus far, just by having to contact these various editing companies has been invaluable. I've now learned the differences between Line editing, Copy editing, Structural editing, and the purpose of having an editor review your work prior to submission to publishers.

A great deal of interesting info came out of that tangent, such as the futility of actually editing your work before going to a publisher, who usually bears much of the editing costs. I was discouraged by an editor, to actually hire them for editing services, simply because that work is usually reserved for the publisher, who will undoubtedly change your work around, no matter how much you've previously paid professional editors. That is not only a cost savings idea, but it takes a great deal of pressure off of this whole process. But of course... and as usual, the work falls squarely back where it belongs. In my lap.

I have to go over and edit and polish what needs to be polished myself, before I submit to a publisher. I can't offload that work onto anyone else at this point. Which does allow me more creative control, and helps me avoid unnecessary criticism. One suggestion of theirs, which I'm still mulling over, is to pay for a Manuscript Evaluation. This is essentially, a "what works" vs. "what doesn't work" view of the book, without getting into the actual technical, or grammatical aspects of review. They mainly look at plot, characters, setting, continuity, and several other story driven structural anomalies that may need further work. I've already received good feedback from them, with the 2 chapters I've sent... so I am anxious to get further feedback from an accredited company. But of course, there is a large cost associated for their review. As I say, still mulling it over.

I have another editor who may be willing to engage by April 28th or May 1st, so that is also another option, and I have a friend who has also agreed to do a formal Manuscript Evaluation... so the feedback is coming. Now all that remains is for me to actually do the work! And integrate all of the feedback as pertinent.

Epilogue is still being written. I toyed with a couple different ideas, but then settled on my first thought... which will be better overall for the stories experience, but it does require more effort. I still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there. Every time I've put my word out there and said definitively that .. "The Epilogue will be done by X date", I've proven myself wrong. So instead, I'll just say.... it'll get done when it's done. Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

No comments: