Thursday, December 15, 2005

Progression

Yesterday was a difficult process. I attempted to watch a movie to get me to visualize certain aspects of my story, but the movie turned out to be uninspired, and all too typical, what I saw of it anyway, as I passed out on the couch. Still trying to recover from this cold I'm fighting off. But despite that, I got some further work done with the Antagonist of the story. My body seems to be taking on the depletion, and depression of the character I'm currently writing, the process is interesting but is not without it's torment.

The character is undergoing a transformation, and is experiencing loss of physical / self image, and coming to grips with what he has become. I wrote another thousand words or so, and got some interesting interactions with some subordinate characters, and explained some of the links in the Antagonists past. This chapter is proving to be difficult, as his nature is not my own, so the authenticity is extremely important. However, like some subconscious method actor, I seem to be taking on my characters form. And as this book has been about 1.5 to 2 years in the making, I can definitely look back and see how my different states of mind have switched depending on the chapter I'm writing. I don't know if that is life imitating art, or art imitating life. But regardless I've stayed true to each characters emotional states, and the quality of the story is of utmost importance to me. I want this to be a story I'd love to read, and read often. Something that intrigues me, and perhaps my readers as well.

I believe the connections to the Antagonists past will be interesting, as they were to me. Some might ask, how do you not know? Why would you be excited or interested in what you've written? Do you not know how the story will form? And the short answer is yes... At a high level. But I prefer using the revelation methodology of writing, which essentially means the ending of the story, or how it all ties together is as much a surprise to me, as to the reader. That seems to keep me going, because if I approach it as a I would a Process, or a Project, it seems to detach me a bit from the experience. I do both really... and that's the best way to produce quality work, with a balance of Right and Left brained approaches, being creative, but pulling back a bit to incorporate the Left brain in the co-ordination, authenticity, and continuity process. The journey continues.

No comments: