Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Inspiration

I'm at a weird place right now with my writing. I have inspiration in many ways, and have recieved tremendous encouragement over the last few days. But my body doesn't seem to want to co-operate, I'm feeling sick, my entire family is up stairs... now best friends with their kleenex, and I'm using what little time I have to put towards this process.

But is all it takes information, and inspiration? Doesn't it take bodily energy, the right emotional state, and access to some kind of flow? I've been grabbing ideas out of the air over the last couple days, as my unconcious mind attemps to round out the rest of the story. I pose a question, and sometime later, I may get an answer... that somehow pops into my mind. I write it down, and try to 'get out' every drop of that insight before the feeling passes. It's so fleeting, like a subtle energy that washes over you, whispering an idea, that just might slip away if you don't move fast enough. But you don't want to engage your mind too much when that happens, or you stop the flow... or direct it somewhere else, and lose it. That's why creative work sometimes seems like you're channeling... often you might here people say that the book wrote itself. Well this is probably the phenomenon they're referencing. It's what happens when you're being creative, and it flows from your centre, and pours out, like a rose releasing a fresh fragrance. Sometimes that channeled energy can just gush out of you, and other times it's just a trickle. But it's that centre that you look for to be in that creative space. That's the type of zone I like to be in when I'm writing, and sometimes it takes some time to get there. Of course, the good thing is that doing research doesn't necessarily require that state of mind, and often times contemplation about the research can get you to that state. In itself, this journal entry is an effort of contemplation, about the process, about the work, about my inspiration.

No comments: