Monday, December 12, 2005

The day I woke up...

When I refer to the day I woke up, it really refers to the period of my life where I woke up, when I became aware. Aware of what? That's the question that sometimes takes a life time to answer. Am I philosophical? Actually I'm very methodical, and functional... I use what works. I employ what works... whether it be a computer system, a methodology, a process, or a concept for life. For me, point of view or perspective is of the utmost importance. Because it is your perspective that creates your next thought about a thing. For example, imagine a woman whose scared to drive, perhaps she had a bad experience, and now carries a bad association with driving. Now imagine the feeling she has whenever she gets into a car, if her associations carry enough weight, then she'll begin to experience fear, or discomfort. Basically engaging the pre-scripted behavioural patterns associated with her experience about driving. Now imagine what her perspective or outlook on driving might be. It is fear based, that's clear. She experiences discomfort, perhaps panic. Because her originating or sponsoring thought about driving happens to be negative, or is the source for bad experience, her next thought about driving will undoubtedly be negative. This is simply one example of how a perspective on an experience, can create predictable behavioural responses, which essentially creates your next experience. If your perspective is objective (which is nearly impossible) and open minded, live for the moment, and choose to experience joy / peace / love in every moment, regardless of what happens to be going on physically... then you've learned the ability to master the moment. To master your behavioural response, this has the power to create your next experience, in any arena, in any field, in anyway. The implications of having the ability to master your own next moment, your own next experience, regardless of what life brings you, no matter who yells, no matter who demoralizes you, no matter what joy or what event comes into your moment, DECIDE ahead of time how you're going to respond. And learn how to master your emotions, and choose which ones you like. Of course there are always cases of those who (often deny this) decide their favorite state of consciousness, or experience is negative. And that might not make sense... why would someone want to knowingly experience something negative? There are many reasons why that might be, but that does not rob them of the ability to choose how to feel next. For example, I had a very long conversation with my grandmother at one point, while on a family vacation in Mexico, which reaffirmed much of my theory on behavioural science, as I reached a wall in our talk. I got to the basics of her personality, I understood why she has a negative perspective on life, why she's complained about her son for years, why she's always wanted to go back to the old country, and generally why she's formed such a bleak outlook on life. After I listened intently for hours, being genuinely interested in every detail of her story, spoken from experience of a woman who was in her prime years ago, I came to a realization. After I dissected much of her complaints about coming to this country, which has in reality given her a fantastic life, her explanation was "that's just the type of person I am". I was amazed at that simple explanation of her negativity. Type of person, perhaps that type is determined by a choice, or series of choices, and reinforced behavioural conditioning over long periods of time, thus creating a "type" of person. Sometimes such conditioned responses to similar situations tend to seem like you have no power at all, you're literally programmed to respond that way, and although you always have the choice to decide another response, however the probability that you will choose differently isn't likely because tendencies have already been created.

No comments: