Thursday, July 09, 2009

Understanding Your Limitations

The focus of my lessons tonight revolved around limitations. What are my limitations in terms of discernment? What are my limitations in terms of bringing concepts into context with each other? What are my limitations in terms of abstracting ideas, or creating ideas, or even understanding the nature of the ego?

What were my limitations in terms of understanding an exercise, or how I limit myself with regards to structure? Many questions were posed tonight, many discoveries were made as well. These are interesting times we live in, and I'm fortunate to be apart of them.

The world may be undergoing tremendous changes, as it always has, yet now more than ever, but that will never limit my ability to grow. When I began my martial training tonight, I will admit that I wasn't receptive, I actually on some level probably acted somewhat arrogant, but luckily an old friend pulled me out of it and quickly reminded me exactly how much more there is to know.

The arrogance wasn't intentional, because on some level at that moment I felt like I knew the topic of conversation, and actually went into my own internal studies in the corner of the room as the lessons continued with another student. This particular student is a bit behind others in his studies, so the review... although always warranted, and helpful, at that moment seemed a waste of time. Often my thoughts lead to progression, and when personal development can be made, I tune in immediately, but when I feel that progression is stalled due to someone not getting an idea or concept... or lagging behind, then admittedly I seem to tune out. I don't think I do so all the time, but being in a state of waiting, mixed with the frustration of someone else not getting an idea, that seems like the perfect mix for me to go off and do my own thing.

As I said, luckily an old friend brought me out of it very quickly, and the night rolled into probably some of the best lessons I've ever had. It's important to realize where our limitations are, because in some cases we can move beyond them, where in others it's just as good to recognize them in yourself, so you can also see them in others.

A particular limitation that I became aware of tonight is that of my lack of abstracting the ego delights of others. I seem to see the good in people, and overlook their faults - but this isn't exactly a very useful aspect of a teacher. I need to become more aware of the ego delights of others... the ego attachments, and the cause and effect those actions might have in order to not only develop personally, but to also assist those in their process and save time. I will write more on this in the coming days and months as I focus my attention more towards these ideas, and document my progress. Thanks for reading.

Robert

No comments: