Thursday, May 04, 2006

May - Book 1 update

Ok Ok Ok... so it's not published yet... but give me a break! This isn't easy! Luckily things have continued to progress nicely for me however, as I now have 2 (possibly 3) reviews and edits happening right now.

I've hired a new editor who has already proven to be extremely valuable, and seems to have latched onto the story in the way I was hoping. It's difficult finding the right editor, simply because they may not be in the same zone in terms of your writing, which would then cause you to have conflicts and could spark an entire rewrite, or at the very least discourage the author unnecessarily. So far so good with this editor, and I'm very pleased with the responses I've received, and I feel this will be an incredible value add to the story, as she is doing a rough line / copy edit, along with the manuscript evaluation. This will be extremely valuable... simply because the main simple corrections will be done, and all that will remain is to properly integrate the feedback I've obtained from my various sources. This is all in an effort to get the best work possible before I put my heart out there and approach various publishing houses.

Initially I will approach the 6 major Sci-Fi / Fantasy publishing houses in the United States, and failing that, I will broaden my view and genre and approach various Fiction houses. If that doesn't work, then self publishing is the way to go. Regardless of how long it takes to get this project off the ground, it will get there. One way, or another. Of course, having a well known publishing house distribute your work is much better option for the casual, or transitioning author (meaning transitioning from a 9 - 5 job, to authorship).

Of course that is the goal, that authorship will be the final destination for me in terms of a career, which can branch off into teaching, coaching, or training others going forward. That comment will make much more sense after I've created book 4, which is a book based on the experiences of the main character, as he trains with several masters on various topics. That will be a detailed account of his journey and discovery as he fully realizes his abilities, and what he must do to defeat his opponents.

Timeline for this round of edits is roughly 8 - 10 weeks, but I feel that it will be finished sooner than that, as my goal for publishing this year is still going strong, and if I'm a month or two off, that's still pretty damn good... still more efficient than some of the Projects I've worked on during my day job! But we're getting there, so thank you to all who have shown interest, and have supported me with your thoughts and feedback, you've been invaluable in this process.

So what am I up to while the edits are going on? Well, for the books to evolve, I too must evolve, so I continue to train my art, research further topics of interest, and develop new methodologies to communicate our latent abilities to those who may be unaware of them, and to formulate new and more exciting plots and stories for future work. Is there anything better than creation?

No comments: