Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Oceans Depth

A sailor of noble decent wandered the world in search of the meaning of life. Alone in his boat, with only the wind, the oceans bounty, and a modest supply of books to keep him busy. Along with him, he brought a compliment of emtpy journals to document his journey, filled with mindless drivel, thoughts unravelled, and the pondering of a curious man in the face of an endless obsession to learn life's secrets.

From port to port, he wandered the seas, making friends with the moon and stars which chart his course. Searching for meaning in the experiences of the seas, the storms and lightening which tormented his nights, and brought him close to death on many occasions. On a particular night in autumn, close to the southern shores of Spain, a sailor set sail from an unfamiliar port, due south.

"The moon has settled in the sky, a full moon... a cool wind, and a wandering mind. This is what greets me as the winds push south."

"Ohoy Sailor!" A female voice stretched across the waters. In the distance I see her, a sailor much like myself gliding towards me.

"Ohoy! Where are you headed, you look lost." She continued.

"Oh, I'm headed no where in particular."

"That's a funny destination, then where do you go from here?"

"Right now, the winds are pushing me south, so I follow the wind. Like I said, no where in particular."

"Then why do you sail?"

"I sail in search of answers. I'm just a sailor, nothing special. Looking for an answer to a question that many people have... a simple question, but profound. What's the meaning of life?"

"How long have you searched?"

"I don't remember. It's been a long time."

"And what have you learned?"

"That life is generous, that life is kind. When you're alone in the middle of the ocean, with no food or water, it rains. I've fished, and found abundance. I've cried, and found the calm of the ocean. I've cursed the world, and felt the ranging storms of God crash down upon the bridge of my ship. I've learned that I'm alive due to the grace of something more than myself."

"Is that all you've learned?"

"I've learned that life is like the ocean, some may skim upon it's surface... only realizing that which exists on its surface. Never realizing its great depth... that some may dive deep at times, yet return to its surface. Others learn to work in the depths of the ocean... and find the rewards that lie within."

"All of this knowledge, and you continue to sail?"

"I have not learned the meaning of life, I have learned things of its nature, I have learned of its compassion, of its kindness, of its cruelty... but I have not yet learned its meaning."

"Is life all of these things you describe? Compassionate... kind.... cruel?"

"It is what it is. It exists within the world, but so does great kindness, and love. It all exists."

"So with all this, you continue to search when the answer is right before your eyes?"

"Why, what is the answer, what is the meaning of life?"

"The answer for you is in the depth of the oceans, the depth of thought, to fill your notebooks, to ponder your concepts, to label your surroundings, and define your experiences. But for all of us, the answer is the same. Life is a journey."

No comments: